WARNING: The packaging on this product can expose you to chemicals including Bisphenol A (BPA), which are known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov. For a list of products go to: www.prop65bpa.org. WARNING: Drinking distilled spirits, beer, coolers, wine and other alcoholic beverages may increase cancer risk, and during pregnancy can cause birth defects. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/alcohol.
A wonderful deep maroon color shows off in the glass presenting rich meaty notes of black pepper and mocha. Blackberry and dried currants fill out the upfront fruit followed by earthier notes of hummus and cocoa. Fully extracted ripe tannins produce a mouth coating richness that is balanced by fresh juicy avidity creating a massive wine that maintains a purity of balance to work at the dinner table, not just the judge's table.
The 2017 Syrah comes from Devil's Canyon, otherwise known as Block 6. This block is planted on our steepest slope, containing nearly no topsoil and faces directly Southwest. While an unpleasant site to farm and harvest, it produces the most exhilarating fruit on our estate. This vintage produced ideal Paso Robles conditions of decent winter rainfall, gentle spring for flowering and ample fruit set followed by warm but not overly hot summer to gently yet thoroughly ripen the fruit.
The Syrah for this vintage was de-stemmed and fermented in 4 ton open top concrete tanks. Twice daily pump over were performed until 70% completion of fermentation. We then changed to gentle punch downs to ease extraction of flavors for a total of 17 days on skins. The tanks were pressed and 35% racked into a new French Orion barrel. The remaining 65% was aged in neutral French barrels. Aged for 20 months with no racking and topped exclusively with Estate Cabernet Sauvignon from the neighboring Block 7 to add a bit of structure to the incredible fruit mid-palate.