Calcareous

WARNING: The packaging on this product can expose you to chemicals including Bisphenol A (BPA), which are known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov. For a list of products go to: www.prop65bpa.org. WARNING: Drinking distilled spirits, beer, coolers, wine and other alcoholic beverages may increase cancer risk, and during pregnancy can cause birth defects. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/alcohol.

Wine Specs
Vintage
2015
Varietal
Blend
Appellation
Paso Robles
Alcohol %
15.4
Wine Spectator
93

2015 Moose

93pts Wine Spectator

Library - Limited Availability

Sold Out
Add To Cart
$86.00 $56.00
 
SOLD OUT
Sold Out
Wine Profile
Tasting Notes
Appears deep violet in color while dark blueberry fruit flls the nose. Upfront richness, is balanced by mid-palate acidity all combining blackberry jam with textbook meaty West Paso Robles Syrah. A perfectly balanced fnish allows this robust wine to pair beautifully with braised short ribs, pulled pork BBQ, or grilled lamb chops
Ratings
Wine Spectator - A bruiser, dark and potent, with expressive blackberry and blueberry flavors accented by smoky meat, cracked pepper and licorice flavors that build power toward big but polished tannins. Syrah and Petit Verdot. Best from 2020 through 2025.—T.F. Vinous - 92 pts. Vivid purple. Vibrant, sharply focused black and blue fruit aromas are complemented by suggestions of cracked pepper, cured tobacco and olive. Chewy and precise in the mouth, showing energetic lift and cut to sappy blueberry, bitter cherry, floral pastille and spicecake flavors. Gains sweetness with air and finishes minerally, seamless and very long, with youthful, gripping tannins adding shape. -- Josh Raynolds
Vineyard Notes
The 2015 Moose is a showcase for the Syrah from our 2.65 acre block 8 clone 99 Syrah planted in 2002. This block is planted on an extremely steep section of our estate, thus the limestone is exposed with almost no top soil. The resulting fruit is a prime example of what farming on high pH (9.2) soils can produce. We blended in Petit Verdot from the neighboring Glenrose, containing similar soil structure. 2015 contained extremes of heat and drought to the point of actually slowing down vine growth and fruit development. In this way, the vintage is marked by darkly structured wines emphasizing earthy characters of Syrah.
Winemaker Notes
The Syrah for this vintage was de-stemmed and fermented in 3 ton concrete tanks. Twice daily pumpovers were performed until 70% completion of fermentation. We then, changed to gentle punchdows to ease extraction of favors. The fruit was pressed and 45% racked into a new French Cavin barrels, known for their intense toasting and readily compliments a rich nose and complex fnish. The remaining 55% was aged in neutral French and Hungarian barrels. The Petit Verdot was fermented in 1.5 ton open top tanks with a combination of punch downs and delestage. The fnalized blend was returned to barrel and aged for a total of 30 months before botling.
Product Reviews
PATRICIA STREPY's Gravatar
PATRICIA STREPY
(May 2, 2018 at 6:53 AM)
amazing

Joe Parsons's Gravatar
Joe Parsons
(Aug 8, 2018 at 5:48 PM)
Love the history of Mr. Moose! The wine was excellent!

John Bason's Gravatar
John Bason
(Aug 18, 2018 at 10:42 PM)
Enjoyed a 2013 bottle of Moose tonight with a thick ribeye and asparagus. From the moment I pulled the cork I was hit by intense pleasure and it got better as the night went on-terrific!

Edward Guenley's Gravatar
Edward Guenley
(Sep 8, 2018 at 8:07 AM)
A great tasting Syrah Petit Verdot blend that falls under the category of "Another Great Calcareous Wine"

Add A Product Review
E-Mail me when someone reviews this product
Leave this field blank:
Cart 0 items: $0.00
Your Account    Log In