2014 Chardonnay York Mountain
Wine Specs
Paso Robles
Alcohol %

2014 Chardonnay York Mountain

In Stock
Add To Cart
Wine Profile
Tasting Notes
The 24 hours of skin contact shows off in a stunning display of rich golden hues. Scents of lemon custard, ripe melon and bees wax exude from the glass. Upfront bright notes of pear and apple are quickly countered with richly textured fig, orange marmalade and creme brûlé. The 11 months spent in new French Puncheons shows off in the finessed finish or campfire marshmallow, butterscotch, and hazelnuts.
Vineyard Notes
The 2014 York Mountain Chardonnay comes from the Carver Vineyard planted in 1988. These fully mature, cane pruned vines are planted in the high elevation of the Santa Lucia mountains. The proximity to the ocean, only 8 miles away, lends more cooling influence as well. This vineyard is used to create our 3 gold label single varietal wines. The unique combination of age and location gives the fruit from Carver extremely unique characteristics.
Winemaker Notes
The grapes were picked the first week of October, hand sorted at the winery before destemming. The whole berries sat in cold storage for 24 hours to lightly extract out golden color and richer notes from the skins. It was then sent to the press and racked straight to barrel. Fermentation took place in Puncheons that were 40% new French oak with gentle toasting which builds aromas and finishing tannins. The remaining 60% was fermented in previously used neutral Puncheons. The barrels were kept cool in the cellar to extend the fermentation process as long as possible. The wines were not completely sugar and malic dry until Early March. Lees stirring continued to extract unique flavors and protect the young wine during this long fermentation. After 11 months in barrel, the wines were racked to tank along with all the lees. This form of “dirty racking is performed in order to fully extract the complexity from the byproducts of barrel fermentation. The wine in tank was cold settled and fined with bentonite to remove excess proteins from the long exposure to lees before bottling.
Product Reviews
DES SHAW's Gravatar
1 1 1 1 1
(Apr 2, 2016 at 1:20 PM)
this is pleasant drinking with a bright yellow color. It tastes like chardonnays of old. Oaky, buttery, little pineapple on the tongue, with big flavor.

Add A Product Review
E-Mail me when someone reviews this product

Leave this field blank:
Cart 0 items: $0.00


Qty Item Description Price Total
  Subtotal $0.00

View Cart

Your Account    Login